Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An Appointment no one will miss!

Hebrews 9:27-28 “And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.”

On this date in 1945, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States, died of a cerebral hemorrhage at Warm Springs, Georgia. FDR was born on January 30, 1882 and was the only man in U.S. history to have been elected President more than twice.

I often think about the words of one of my favorite hymns, “O God, Our Help in Ages Past” by Isaac Watts. In this great work, he writes, “Time, like an ever rolling stream, Bears all its sons away; They fly, forgotten, as a dream Dies at the opening day.”

One of the realities of Pastoral ministry is being involved in lots of funerals. While it is always a privilege to be asked to speak at such a service, the serious nature of our appointment with death causes me to think deeply about what I will say to the family and friends who gather together. I almost never prepare for a funeral sermon without the words of this song going through my mind.

For the believer, this appointment marks the beginning of a truly joyous existence in the presence of Christ. Even those of us left behind at the passing of a loved one who trusted in the Lord are comforted by our certain knowledge of their eternal joy.

Most people do not know when they will go into the presence of God. We think and plan ahead as if we have all of the time in the world. I pretty much have an idea of what I will be doing for the next nine years as I lead our Church to accomplish the 20/20 Vision that the Lord has put before us. Often, when I think about what it will take to accomplish this work, I think about the fact that I may very well be kidding myself that I will be around to see it come to pass!

One day, someone will be thinking about what to say at my funeral. I hope they will remind my family and friends that all of us have an appointment with God for which we will not be late!

Prayer: “Father, thank You for the gift of this life, and the hope of the life to come. As we consider this sobering fact, let us put our faith in Your Son as our only hope of salvation. May we see that glorious day when all of your people surround Your throne and praise Your holy Name. Amen!”

Application: Are you ready to meet the Lord?

No comments: